Wednesday, August 22, 2007

gelato captial of germany?



I am here for my final four days in Hannover - to be exact, tomorrow will be the last. This short reprise has allowed me to read more of Schwitters´mail (and his son´s and his wife´s and his mother´s and his daughter(s)-in-law´s), read an amazing poem about fleeing the Nazis in Norway, and find snippets of the sort that could finally anchor my free-floating Passagenwerk of a dissertation right now. All in all, worth the trip.

More so as it has enabled me to sing a swan song to this nonexistent summer with the best gelato this side of the Alps. There is an ice cream parlor in the Hannover Hauptbahnhof that is so popular they have an extra "to-go" stand just for cones. After swiping a Süddeutscher Zeitung from the Deutsche Bahn lounge, I used to do a drive-by nearly every time I caught the train to get back to Hamburg to help clear the "archive brain." It is also ridiculously cheap. And did I mention heavenly? And delicious?

Tomorrow my Bahn Card 100 expires marking a full year of my German adventure and I am ending it where it began, in Göttingen, of all places. I am staying at P.´s new palatial place - he has just moved in but is actually still in Basel. This is the second friend´s apartment I´ve squatted in this summer while the rightful tenant has been in another country. I think they deserve a special line of thanks in the ballooning acknowledgements of my magnum opus.

No comments: