Thursday, August 9, 2007

in-flight movies

On the way out from Frankfurt to Boston, Blades of Glory, which was inspired comedy a la Zoolander. It managed to acknowledge that lazy homophobia that is the hallmark of so many of these dude comedies and simultaneously skirt (even subvert?) it.

On the way out from JFK to Los Angeles, Meet the Robinsons, which I chose not to watch.

On the way out from Los Angeles to JFK, Shrek the Third, which I chose not to watch because, again, why all the CGI cartoons?

On the way out from JFK to Zurich, The Last Mimzy, which was another child-oriented (though live-action) feature with overtones of fantasy (my least favorite genre to boot), but as I inadvertently packed my book in a bag that was checked through, I watched it with the German dubbing. I enjoyed it because after a month in the States, I didn't suddenly lose my comprehension skills.

Also playing on that flight was Roman Holiday, which I decided was worth skipping any attempt at some restless shut-eye to see again. I always liked this movie (Gregory Peck and Rome, what's not to like?) but in the wee hours of the evening-turing-into-morning limbo somewhere past Reykjavik as a few of the Orthodox Jews on my flight began to daven, I suddenly realized all these ways the film is enormously complex and potentially troubling.

No comments: