Monday, July 9, 2007

lazy eye

I have been physically exhausted since I returned to Basel after my trip through Germany with S. We went to documenta and Skupltur-Projekte Muenster, spent a rainy day in Hamburg in a cafe that was new to me in the Schanze and gleefully wallowed in the Willy Doherty show at the Kunsthalle, fell for Leipzig for just about every conceivable reason, and ended up in Berlin, from where I commuted to Hannover to attend a conference on Kurt Schwitters and S. got to mull over the puzzle that is that city without my intervening commentary.

It comes as no surprise that I am tired, but I thought it would have lifted by now. I wish I could say more of the art we saw stuck with me or motivated me to write. Instead, I feel even more entrenched in my current albatross. But there are new ideas on that front, so inspiration came, obliquely and without fanfare on this journey, without me realizing it.

I don't think either of us were at our most comfortable living the life of hotel beds and eating out or on the road everyday. Ours is a friendship that needs its domestic space, and I'm looking forward to my visit to Brooklyn, where we'll be more native and less "roving eyes."

No comments: